Sunday, August 10, 2014

8/10/14
    Hey just wanted to share a story I wrote. Hope you like it!

                                                   Journey to the Yellow Planet

  I dipped my dirty toes into the clear, cool water of the lake.  With so many people living nearby, it was hard to believe that it wasn’t trashed.  Suddenly the water turned gray.  I heard a “pop” and my friend Xavier appeared beside me.
            “Problem, Lucy,” he said in that fake English accent he always used when he was nervous.  He was pacing in circles on the now gray grass.
            “What is it?” I asked.  He pointed at the sky.  I nearly fainted when I looked up.
            About a hundred spaceships were circling above, each with glowing yellow letters on the
side: Venus XOX.  I had no idea why the aliens weren’t getting sick of flying in circles for that long.  But they didn’t seem to be getting bored.  In fact, they seemed to be enjoying themselves, shooting everything in sight, turning even the pedestrians gray with their guns.
            “Where did they come from?” I asked anxiously.
            “I don’t know.  Venus, probably,” Xavier told me.
            “What’re you waiting for?  Let’s go!”
            “We don’t have a spaceship,” Xavier said.
            “WE DON’T HAVE A SPACESHIP?!  ARE YOU A WIZARD OR NOT?!” I yelled.
            “Not a very good one,” Xavier muttered.
            “C’mon, believe in yourself for once!”
            “Umm… All right,” Xavier said reluctantly.  “SPACESORTA!”
            I almost got crushed by the thud that followed, as a large vehicle dropped from Xavier’s wand.  It looked sort of like a car with wings.  
            “Hop in,” he said, grinning.
Inside, there were two soft blue seats, with a trunk in the back (“It can hold anything,” Xavier said proudly), and, instead of a steering wheel, there was a joystick like inside of a plane.  The thing that really baffled me was the buttons.  Millions of little buttons dotted the sides.
            “Want to drive?” questioned Xavier, smiling.
            “Sure,” I said nervously.
            Xavier knew I was confused.  “….So, this is the brake, the red one here.  The blue one, that’s the gas and, of course, (he indicated the joystick) the direction,” Xavier instructed.
            “Gee, thanks,” I said.
            “You’re welcome,” he replied.
            “Let’s go!” I held down the blue button and punched the green (light speed).
            “Whoahhhhh!” I landed the ship on Venus and hopped out.
            I almost burned my skin off.  It was boiling.  No one could last long.  The surface, instead of rocky and yellow, was changing color.  One second it was a putrid green that reminded me of mucus, next it was light lavender – the color of the flower.
            Suddenly, an alien walked up to us, (or flew, as Xavier would describe it).  However, he was not green; he was yellow (probably to camouflage).  His dazzling blue eyes moved around, scanning the scene.  His black antennae bent over his forehead, slightly covering a tuft of red hair, as he said, “Why are you invading our planet, Earthlings?”
            “Because we want to know why you’re invading us, Venusling,” said Xavier.
            “Xavier, be careful what you say!” I said.
            “It’s okay.”
            “So, why are you invading our planet?” I asked.
            “I don’t know.”
            “So who does?” I asked worriedly.
            “Ask our leader.”
            “Where does he live?” I wondered loudly.  The alien scribbled on some paper, then handed it to me and we were off.
We pulled ourselves up to the top of a hill.
“Finally – there!” I panted.  A mansion-like fortress stood at the top.  Golden gates blocked the path.  A large red sign on them said:
IF YOUR PREDICAMENT DOES
NOT NEED ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY,
YOU ARE ENTERING AT YOUR OWN RISK.
A padlock was attached to the gate.  I pulled out my wand (unicorn hair and pine, twelve-and-a-half inches).
“Penetro!” I shouted.
There was a crash and we jumped backward.  A second later, a broken heap of metal lay in the street.  We stepped over it and I muttered, “Mende!”  The gate sprang back.  We ran up some silver steps and I pulled the black knocker.  The door swung open.
            “Why are you invading our planet?” Xavier asked into the dark void.
            “Earthlings send spacecraft to Venus and their camera flash distorts our planet’s surface,” an odd voice croaked.
He was right.  Instead of being rocky, cloudy, and yellow, the surface was flat, clear, and black at that very moment.
“We’ll tell them.  Please stop,” I pleaded.
            “No!  We enjoy watching your greenery fade,” the alien exclaimed.
            “Go get the fan!” Xavier whispered.
            “What fan?!” I hissed.
            “The giant, solar-powered one in the glove compartment!” Xavier said quietly.
            “Why?” I whispered back, bewildered.
            “It’ll explode him!” Xavier said, lowering his voice even more.
            “I didn’t even know the spaceship had a glove compartment,” I whispered.
            “Just go!”
            I whispered, “Intercept Fan!”  I almost got flattened by the weight.  “Xavier, come on!” We ran, blowing the fan at the guards in our wake.  We made it to the spaceship, just as one of the aliens we had missed was only feet from Xavier…..
“Drive!” Xavier yelled.  The sweat dripping from my glasses did not stop me.  Once again I pressed the blue button and pushed the green for what felt like a hundred times.  Finally, the spaceship took off like a bullet.
            The next morning, the front of the newspaper said:

Our Daily Earth
TWO EIGHT-YEAR-OLD WIZARDS SAVE PLANET
Xavier Dann and Lucy Perspire traveled to Venus to save our planet from aliens.  We are glad to offer Xavier and Lucy a position in the National Hall of Historical Figures.

We accepted gladly.
“Will they have statues of us?” asked Xavier hopefully.
            “I hope so,” I said.  “Maybe we’ll be carrying a golden fan.”

1 comment:

  1. This is great writing, Syd! You have an impressive vocabulary and a delightful sense of humor. We're looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete