Friday, March 20, 2020

A Retrospective: Why I've Given No Opinion on The Rise of Skywalker

I know what you're thinking: She hasn't seen it yet. No, of course I've seen it! I still call myself a Star Wars fan. No, it was much better than critics claimed, if not (in my humble opinion) quite as good as its two predecessors, but at the time I saw it, a different masterwork of J. J. Abrams had captured my attention. No, not Lost - Alias, a show you might have already seen me mention time and time again. With all its crazy sci-fi elements, it might be a guilty pleasure for some, but not for me. I have no guilt: I absolutely love it (given that I'm a teen girl, though, there are way more embarrassing things I could like, comparatively). The thing is, though, we saw The Rise of Skywalker on a crisp winter Monday morning. I saw a particularly riveting episode of Alias on Friday night. Some sort of interference I have no memory of on Saturday and my family's Sabbath observance on Sunday meant that my viewing of part 2 of said episode was delayed until Monday night. Needless to say, I was a little distracted during ROS. So, J. J. (not that you're reading this), the reason I haven't given ROS as much love as I have previous Star Wars movies is merely that by far the most addictive and thrilling TV show I've ever watched, and one of your creation, has captivated me. I've already started rewatching Season 2 (because I already finished rewatching Season 1). And in case you're curious, while the Kashmir two-part episode is also awesome, I'm referring to "The Box" (we call them the Tarantino episodes around my house, though we could also call them the Die Hard episodes or the "saving SD-6, even though we're working to destroy it, because this is the only way to save the people in it" episodes - and whew, I need to take a breather). A review of The Rise of Skywalker will hopefully come forth soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment